Not much of the player base seems to have survived the server drama that we experienced, which has unfortunately left a major power vacuum in the game as key characters have had their players go away.
Currently mulling over how to handle this.
By default, our “playerwipe” daemon that mops up abandoned accounts based on how long a player goes without logging in can cull out the dead weight. But it takes horrendously long, and has most likely already been mercilessly tuned so I really don’t want to fiddle with anything.
Currently, AFAIK, Allaryin is the only member of the city council at the moment. My own character, Shentino, fulfills the role of Candle Hill’s treasurer, having previously held the role of the merchant guildmaster.
Probably will resolve this vaccuum in character. Some chitty chat with “The ‘A’ team” will probably be in order.
That said, the player base itself is rather limp, and really took a beating. Fresh blood will probably be needed, which brings me to the horrendous newbie “bootcamp” that allaryin previously complained about.
Witac is hopeless, and a new system needs to be written that
* Teaches players the basics of how to survive in the world
* Gives them some starting equipment
* Teaches them the actual rules of the game
* Gets their initial descriptions set properly (eyes, hair, skin, etc…plus clothing)
Additionally, the magic tree, most likely a newbie’s ONLY source of food in the place, has a strict quota. While reasonable to prevent exploiters from picking a million fruits and using the tree as an infinite orchard, it also enforces an implied time limit, and if a newbie is stuck and can’t get his quests figured out before his hunger eats up his magic tree quota, he will be stuck in an infinite starvation loop.
Newbie boot camp, whatever it turns out to be, needs to be newbie friendly, while at the same time protected from being abused by exploiters. It’s possible that enforcing an anti-non-newbie quarantine may work. I also need to be wary of collusion with old timers who may in theory pass newbieland contraband into the ‘real world”
* Until a way for the mud to connect to itself is found, hunger daemon has been changed from heartbeat to 3-second callout. Heartbeats are disabled when no players are online.
* Finally fed up with my mortal getting blown offline, I increased the base idleness allowed from 15 minutes to 30 minutes. Players still get a one minute bonus per level.